Map of the Talbot District from Actual Surveys by Thomas W Walsh...
Place of Publication
Image Size (mm)
542 x 897
Image Size (Inches)
21.34 x 35.31
Very Good, backed on acid free tissue paper for long term preservation
An important early mapping of the south eastern part of Upper Canada by Thomas Walsh and engraved by J. Hauer. The Talbot District was formed from the London District in 1838. It was located on the north shore of Lake Erie and contained the County of Norfolk. The district was abolished with the rest of the district administration structure in 1849-50.
The Talbot district was named after Colonel Thomas Talbot (1771-1853) , a prominent military man and colonizer in Upper Canada. He became Lieutenant-General Simcoe’s secretary in 1792, and in this role, travelled around Upper Canada. He left Simcoe’s staff by 1794, resigned his commission in 1800, and from there began farming at the mouth of Kettle Creek. In 1803, he received a land grant of 5000 acres from the Crown in Dunwich and Aldborough townships (then part of Middlesex County), with the promise of populating it with British settlers.